Peeking through the old exterior wall into the new attic.
The rubber roof for the balcony, thanks to a warm February weekend.
The addition, looking even more like a real house.
Demolition: the kitchen and its pointless pantry (soon to be a second bathroom), the upstairs bathroom, and the master bedroom.
Rot from a long-gone leaky roof; square nails; and part of the chimney, which never had any fireplaces to miss.
Also rot from an even longer-gone bedroom sink, from the days when the house was a boarding house, and some evidence of non-paying residents.
Square nails in the original framing of the kitchen, from the first day of demolition. (Dates shown here are approximate.)
Demolition upstairs: the new beam as seen from above, the hole where the chimney used to be, and a side view of the attic stairs. (Note the crazy angle.)
The balcony has a deck and most of its railing now.
We discovered that one of our bay windows was originally an oriel, but unfortunately the base had rotted too much to be resuspended. Here it is propped up, waiting for bay footings to be permitted and poured.
This is Rainforest Green, a serpentinite from India that lies somewhere between marble and granite in durability, but is also fairly common (so not crazy expensive). We tagged two slabs for the kitchen counters.
Spray foam insulation in the old (dark wood) and new sections of the master bedroom.
An unanticipated amount of new ductwork in the basement.
Stairs, with blown-in insulation that missed. Balcony, with unused fiberglass insulation.
It turned out we needed 3 slabs of granite, from a different wholesaler.
Three kinds of insulation intersect in one corner of the new basement stairs.
Bathroom tile from Craigslist.
Upstairs bathroom, now with tub and walls. (The circus fellow is actually a plasterer.)
Mudroom, now featuring drywall.
Plastered walls everywhere.
Re-laying some subfloor to keep the new floor boards from cupping.
The flooring for the kitchen, dining room, and hallways (wide plank pumpkin pine) eventually made it past the police and into the house.
The downstairs floor with tung oil on it, but no poly yet. One of the upstairs bedrooms, still unsanded and un-tung oiled, done with the leftover flooring. And more leftovers after that.
Three-quarters of a 3/4 bath. Picking knobs. Trying out some chemical paint stripper. (We decided on heat instead.)
99% of a 3/4 bath.
The granite, installed at last!
Rosettes and casings overflowing from the pike of lumber in the new mudroom into the old living room.
Lots of trimming and plumbing happened yesterday. (I’m not sure why Sunlit thinks plumbers work on Sunday.)
I put the knobs on the cabinets and unwrapped the stove and oven Sunday while Peter painted a closet.
Achievement unlocked: baking in the wall oven.
Achievement unlocked: brewing coffee without K-cups.
Doorknob renovation by boiling with baking soda.
Clicking down the click-down floor in the master bedroom.